Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles... and steps.

It only took 14 hours, but I have made it to my dorm room at the University of East London.  I'm exhausted.  8 hours on a plane, 3 hours of sleep.  Once deboarded, I had to walk a very long way to the 'border'. Getting through the border was easy/peasey, but that was the last easy/peasy for the day.

Jen's First Adventure on the Tube:
Trying to be a frugal traveler, I decided to take the tube all the way from Heathrow to East London.  First, I got on the Picadilly - going the wrong way.  And off to Terminal 5 I go!  Switch back going the right way.  Ok, I got this.  I felt like a big jerk with my luggage, especially because it was pretty much rush hour for Londoners.  Switch to the District Line at South Kensington... oh crap, stairs.  Wait for everyone to pass me by then lug down then lug up over 50 lbs of luggage to the District Line (mind the gap).  Ok, not too bad.  Switch to DLR at Tower Hill.  More damn stairs.  Walk a block, cross the street (look to your right!) and up the escalators (oh thank god escalators) to the DLR.  Get off at Canning Town, wait 5 minutes for the Beckton line, then get off at Cyprus.  Thank goodness for a ramp.  I believe I did not swipe my Oyster Card though... hmmm...

Checked in and was walked down to the "Green Drum". AND, more damn stairs.  I share a 'flat' with some strangers, however my room is private.  I think I spied a 5th room that we share that has some sort of kitchenette.  I have my own little bathroom/shower type of thing.  I'll have to post pictures some other time, it certainly interesting.  The place is affordable, free internet, and without the opportunity to stay here, I could have never afforded to come to the Olympics.

And while I would like to take a nap, the fact that I am staying directly across a river from a runway might hinder that.  Think I'll shower up, and go hit the Tower of London, and find something to eat... starving.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you made it. This is my favorite post yet. Can't wait to see pictures.

    I'm happy you took public transportation. There's something to be said for seeing a new city through the transportation locals take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you understand why I take a backpack everywhere instead of suitcase! 50 lbs, you crazy girl! I hope you have a great time, find some good local pubs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. They are used to luggage on the Picadilly line, so I wouldn't worry about it.

    2. When I used to ride the DLR for work it was on some weird honor system where you could get on or off without using the pass.

    3. Hopefully you didn't nap...that's key for me avoiding the jet lag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and enjoy the city!

    ReplyDelete